Early in the morning you’ll have the opportunity to be astonished with the sounds of the rainforest, feel the incredible atmosphere and see the existing wildlife within the Tambopata National Reserve.
- We begin at 4:30 am to be out before sunrise. The taxi will pick up the group at the hotel’s hall. Then you’ll go to the river port to take a motor boat downstream about 35 minutes. You’ll Relish the colors and the landscape. Certainly the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest at sunrise could become a wonderful postcard in your memories.
- Upon arrival to the entrance, we’ll stop at the ranger’s check-point before we start to walk into the jungle. We’ll hike 2.8 kms (about 3062 yards) your knowledgeable guide will point out some interesting trees and show many birds on the trail.
- You’ll reach a palm-swamp section in the forest that is frequented by many parrots and macaws only in the morning. The location is perfect to watch and for taking pictures of the birds on the treetops.
Then you’ll find a small maze to go through on small canoes that connects to the big lake of 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) long.
- Lake Sandoval is an Oxbow lake found in a Natural Sanctuary that protects a very fragile water ecosystem, palm swamp forest, a very rich variety of wild animals and endangered species such us black caimans (alligators ), a family of giant river otters (this specie has a critical conservation status around the world). Also there are other less frequent spotted species such us the anacondas, tapirs, amongst others.
- The guide will carry on powerful binoculars to watch the incredible variety of birds surrounding the lake’s shores. Fishing wild ducks, colorful tanagers, flycatchers, kingfishers, anhingas and the hoatzin bird, locally referred as the stinky bird due to their complex digestive system similar to the caws.
Hopefully we’d be able to see some breeds of monkeys leaping through the canopy such us the loud red-howler monkey, brown capuchin monkey, squirrel monkey, dusky titi monkey.
- We’ll do a stop to relax by the shore with the incredible view of the lake. You’ll get some fresh fruits and nuts to eat accompanied by refreshing drinks.
You’ll see familiar houses and private lodges settled by the lake. We also support the local ventures by using their facilities on our visits.
We also organize great tour itineraries that might include one or two nights staying with locals entrepreneurships.
Learn more about services they provide and the difrence you could do for them…
- It’s time to turn back. We’ll continue to explore the missing part of the lake looking for more exciting species on your way back to the river.
- Before we go back to Puerto Maldonado. We’ll drop off some people o our lodge located in front of the Tambopata National Reserve.